Monday, May 02, 2005

Hello all!


my last completed work "The Green Towel" May 2005

Hi, my name is aletta Mes. I was born in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, in 1954 to an opera singer mother and a research chemist father.At age 13 I took to the stage dancing in ballet and musical theatre until 1985 when a bizarre illness made it impossible to continue dancing. Meanwhile I had also trained in Dance Therapy (physical), Eurythmics and journalism. For a time I worked as a systems administrator (1988-1998), and series of second jobs including writing manuals, illustrations, advertising copy, theatrical agent, and after a refresher year of study as a counselling psychologist (1998-1999).

Pain and complex family life shifted some energy away from dancing and to painting in 1985. As the body started to give out, painting became a ways of expressing myself within a more restricted world of movement. Writing was always a ways of keeping narratives for remembering later, to be used in some other project, a painting, a choreography a play. All art forms are therapeutic for me, a reason to get out of bed, a brief time magically away from pain.

Being housebound (fully disabled/unemployable since 1998) for the most part makes meeting with, and sharing studio stories with near impossible, so on Heather's suggestion I am joining this blog in the hope it will alleviate some of the isolation, I really am not much of a hermit, my inspiration comes primarily from people.

Good to meet you all and I look forward to getting to know more about you and your work.

aletta

2 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Dear Aletta
I am just delighted that you have decided to join the art blogger and I am really hoping that your approach to blogging will inspire others from our art room to join and introduce themselves as you have done. You have certainly provided all the material that I need to set up your Art Studio here at Soul Food.

Many people are surprised to hear how introverted I am. I have mastered extroversion pretty much as a means to fuel my creativity. Like you I am not a hermit and I find that all forms of art are therapeutic. On Sunday I was feeling utterly revolting and wondered where I would find the energy to hold my monthly Salon, my gathering of creative women. But you know what? They came, filled my house with their creativity and infused me with energy. The feeling of lethargy evaporated and I actually felt good.
love Heather

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Okanagan Valley Garden said...

Hello Aletta,

Nice to meet you! I enjoyed your introduction but I am sorry to hear of your pain. It really is amazing how many of us here live with pain to some degree or another.

I am fairly new here myself. I live in BC Canada with my two children and my mother. On the introvert-extrovert scale I am a real introvert. Fortunately I can play my extroverted alter-ego over the computer!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

hugs,
Bobbi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home